Come spend the day with us and the 58. This is a hands on all day program where you will help us as we bring the 58 for life for the day, then have a chance to operate the locomotive over our railroad.
Each day will be limited to a maximum of four participants. We will meet at a local restaurant for breakfast (included) where the instructor will explain the activities for the day as well as give a safety briefing. Then we will proceed over to the J&LNG to pull 58 out of the enginehouse, clean the firebox and build a fire. As the locomotive warms up the instructor will explain the functioning of the components of the locomotive as well as explain how the locomotive operates.
After about 2 to 2 1/2 hours the locomotive will be ready to operate and the participants will then take turns operating the 58 over our trackage including taking the train up the 6% Thorn Hill grade. For lunch we will order a pizza for delivery to the J&LNG (included).
We will provide a pair of gloves, cold drinks and safety glasses for participants. It is important to wear pants, long sleeve shirt and solid soled shoes. If your bare skin touches the boiler you will get burned, so wearing the proper PPE is a must.
1) Participant must be at least 18 years old.
2) Participant must be physically able to perform manual labor including shoveling coal and must not be opposed to getting dirty.
3) Participants must follow all instructions given by the instructor.
4) In the case of inclement weather, participants may choose to either continue with the experience (knowing that they may get wet) or to reschedule for another day.
5) No refunds will be given unless we are not able to operate on the scheduled day.
The cost is $258.00 for the day. Breakfast and lunch are included.